In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, my Zumba classes have gone pink! I’ve also become enough of a regular that I’ve started posing for pictures after each class, with the zumba crew.
Can I just stop for a minute and geek out about this? I love being a regular zumba chica. I also love that my favorite instructor likes to take pictures after our workouts. How often do we spend long periods of time working out, but never have any proof? Unless you’re that girl who takes a selfie at the gym. Don’t be that girl. At least get your workout buddies in the pictures, and then it’s not bragging. Right? 😉
Super awkward action shot. How awesome is that old lady in the zumba class? It’s really high paced, and she was rocking it!
As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a bit obsessed with zumba. I love how I feel, I love the endorphin rush, and now I love the group photos! Viva zumba!! Oh, and since it’s breast cancer awareness month, go get your tatas checked!
I turned 31 yesterday! 31 and still getting carded. I’ll take it folks! 🙂 I received an amazing birthday present from my Aunt and Uncle who recently visited. I was blown away by their generosity. It was a new lens for my DSLR! I have been going a little picture crazy all weekend. Here’s a shot Match took right before my birthday dinner.
I love how Piglet scrunches up his face for photos. He has that trouble maker look down! Luckily he just has the look and is usually pretty well behaved! We took him to our favorite sushi restaurant, and this time we actually let him try some of it (all cooked pieces, but still!) He seemed to like it a lot. His favorite part of the dinner was flirting with every waitress that walked by.
He also grabbed the pen and tried to sign the check. Looks like dinner was his treat!
Saturday we just relaxed around the house. Went to the gym and then just lazed around. We really wanted to go do something outdoorsy. I had these great plans to take Piglet to a nearby children’s farm, but it was so dang hot out that we decided to wait. I’m so sick of this weather you guys. It was 103 on Saturday. 🙁 It zaps my motivation and leaves me depressed. I guess I’m opposite most people, because rain makes me happy! I live in the wrong state!!
Anyhoo, we took advantage of the somewhat cooler morning to have our breakfast outside and play a bit.
Sunday Match had to work, so I met up with Couple Wife, her sister and their kids for a play date at Train Town in Sonoma. The weather started out cooler, and I was excited to escape the heat. Then it shot up to the low 90s, and I was sweating like crazy. Piglet was a little overstimulated and insisted on being carried a lot. It didn’t help that he’s his own little furnace. We were both pretty hot and tired by the end of the day, but we still had fun! Piglet got to ride his first train and his first carousel. He got a little scared of both, but he just held on tight to mama. I can’t wait to take him back when it’s a bit cooler, and when Match can join us!
I don’t know if I mentioned this, but I’ve become a bit of a gym rat. I’ve become a regular. At my gym, we tell the front desk person our gym number. You know you’re a regular when the front desk clerk rattles off your number by memory! That just happened to me today and it felt pretty good.
Match and I have been members since 2012, but I’ve been going a lot more since Piglet became old enough to attend the daycare (he LOVES it!). Now that he’s down to one mid-day nap, we have a regular gym routine, and we go almost every day. I’m addicted to the classes, but especially Zumba. If any of you out there are considering Zumba but haven’t tried it, you.have.to.go! It is amazing! Me, the girl with two left feet, loves to dance, in public. I know, it’s weird right? But the songs, the moves, I love everything about it. Oh, and I sweat my love handles off!
I love how friendly all the ladies are in my class. Yesterday I even met a brave man who dared to come into the hen house. He was actually a fantastic dancer, and didn’t seem phased at all by all the ladies clucking. The more I go to class, the better I get at the dance moves. Zumba is helping my coordination a lot, and I think just memorizing the steps is probably good for the ol’ think tank. I have this embarrassing habit of singing along to every single song, even though I don’t know the words. Apparently I’m not the only one!
I love finding a hobby that keeps me healthy and gives me that much needed endorphin boost. I also love that Piglet is such a big fan of the daycare. He struts into the room with his little ticket in hand, and then runs off to play. He used to sniffle and hold onto my leg, and now he’s off making friends and being Mr. Social. This past week he had a fever and wasn’t quite feeling his normal self, so I kept him home just in case he was contagious. I think it was all teething related, because he had no other symptoms, and just kept moaning and pointing to his mouth. Poor baby! I could tell he missed the daycare because he sprinted off to go play the minute we walked in.
So there you have it. Now you know what I’m up to when I’m not blogging. I’m out there at the gym, sweating buckets while I wiggle my body to kickass music and love every second of it! Oh, and I’m probably also singing along and about a step behind everyone else. But who cares?
Well this award could not have come at a better time. It’s been a long time since I wrote anything about myself that didn’t involve my baby or my family, so this is refreshing. Thanks for the award Charlotte!
Here are the questions she asked me:
1) If you could lay down your roots anywhere, where would you go and why?That is a tough one, as I haven’t traveled enough places to have a solid opinion. Of places I’ve never been, Ireland sure seems appealing! 😉 I love our home, but I think California is way too crowded, and I wouldn’t mind living somewhere with more nature. Of the places I’ve been, I think I’d be happiest back home in Oregon. Probably not in my small hometown, but maybe in the Portland area. I want to live somewhere with seasons. Our summers here are way too hot. I would also love to be closer to my family, and closer to the ocean. Match is also his most relaxed and happiest when we visit Oregon, which makes me relaxed and happy.
2) What’s your favorite book of all time? Ack, I can’t pick a favorite book. I love books so much (I have another blog dedicated to my bookwormness for crying out loud), and each one is so different from the next. I would say that the Hunger Games series ranks pretty high on the list, along with Harry Potter and the Twilight series. Then there are the classics, like The Giver, and Pride and Prejudice. I just can’t choose. Know that I’m a total bookworm, who loves curling up with a good story.
3) What is your happiest childhood memory? I can’t really pinpoint one single happiest moment as a child, but rather lots of moments smashed together. I think I was happiest playing on our quasi farm with our many different animals. We raised a lamb at one point, as well as chickens, turkeys, rabbits, pigs, dogs, cats, and pygmy goats. I was in 4-H with my goats, and made all kinds of friends through that program. I loved having that opportunity and living in the country. It’s an experience I would love to be able to give Piglet someday. PS I realize this picture is of a slightly bored looking teenage me, but my family was absolute crap at taking pictures when I was younger, and this one best represents the farm, minus the bored look. 😉 Oh, and how cute are my goats? I mean, really!
4) Tell me about a tradition that’s been passed down to you, or one you’d like to have with your family one day? I wish my family was one of traditions. We have never been that type of family, and coming from a divorced home, where each year holidays were spent at different places, it’s hard to have a tradition that we’d do every holiday. We did have a family tradition of sitting around the table for meals, and that’s something I have started with our family. There is something so nice about the family meal, and having a chance to check in at the end of a busy day. With Match’s schedule, that meal may not always be dinner, but even breakfast or lunch can be the sit down meal of the day. Another tradition we’ve started as a couple and now family has been to go to the Christmas tree farm every year. I hope to continue that as long as we can!
5) You’re on a deserted island with a boombox, an infinite supply of batteries, and three CDs. Which ones do you choose? Oy. My taste in music changes as much as my taste in books. I’m going to have a weak sauce answer here and say that at least one CD would be a mix. 😉 I love classical music, so I’d have all the greats, Mozart, Bach, Beethovan. Then I’d have one of oldies, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and the Brat Pack. I’d throw in one with pop music, though I’d probably regret it later!
6) What’s your beauty secret? No makeup. Seriously, every time I put on makeup, I feel like I look ridiculous, because I have no idea how to wear it. Plus, I always break out. If I don’t wear it, my skin usually looks a whole lot better. Though I wish there was a way to hide the bags under my eyes without it!
7) Do you have an achievement you are most proud of, and why? Does having my baby count? Ha! I feel like he is my greatest achievement, after so much struggling to bring him into this world. Outside of that, I’m going to say the fact that I can do 25 pushups, and I can do a pull up from a dead hang. I’m proud of this because it wasn’t so long ago that my body wouldn’t do anything that I wanted it to, and I’m proud to have my strength back. I’ve worked really hard to get to this place.
8) Who is your hero? My mom. She has overcome so much in her life, has struggled with mental health issues, and survived an abusive childhood. She is absolutely the strongest person I know. She dealt with my dad’s drug and alcohol addiction, subsequent divorce, and was a single parent before she met my Pops. She is crazy strong, brave, loving, and raised me to be a strong, independent woman. I am grateful for her every day. We may not always get along, but I love and respect the heck out of that woman. She really is amazing!
9) What is your favorite vacation destination? Again, I haven’t traveled enough to have an opinion on this one. I guess I would say Oregon, and visiting my family. But hopefully one day I can say something a little more exotic. I have my eye on New Zealand. 😉
10) Tell me your worst date story! Oh there are so many! Just look through my archives, ha! I’d have to say it was the French Guy I went on a date with. In a single night, he managed to insult me, my education, and my country, all before dessert. What a winner!
11) What inspired you to start blogging? See answer to #10. Ha! My crazy dating stories were what inspired this whole blog, hence the title. It has grown so far away from what it once was. I love looking back at old posts, because it reminds me just how far I have come. It has been 6 years since I started this blog, wow! 6 years! I am so happy I’ve stuck with it, and have made such amazing friends along the way. I love you, sweet readers. Thanks for sticking by me!
I’m supposed to tag people, and ask questions, but I’m being incredibly lazy and not doing that. If you want to answer Charlotte’s questions, I’d love to read your answers!
Piglet and I are all packed, and we are ready to board our plane and fly to Arizona tomorrow. Match has to work, so I will be solo parenting this adventure. I’m nervous as all hell, and as Match said a few times tonight, downright hormonal, but hey, this is a big damn deal! I’m not much of a traveler, and I almost always travel by car, so this is all very unsettling for me. I hate that we can’t bring whatever we want, and that I’m limited to what we can carry. I’ve jam packed my bags with probably far more than I’ll need for this 5 day venture.
I think if any baby can handle it, it’s Mr. Piglet.That kid is so mellow, and I hope he stays that way for the flight.
I am going to miss the hell out of Match. We are heading to see my dad, my step mom, my aunt, and my grandparents. I’m hoping that I get some down time, with all those relatives to play pass the baby. I just wish Match could be there with us and get some time to relax. In other news, he’s finally completed backgrounds, so now we’re just waiting on pins and needles for the next step in the hiring process with his potential new job with our local police department. Fingers, toes and ankles crossed he gets it!
Piglet and I will be flying into San Diego, which is only 1.5 hours flight, but then we have a 2.5 hour car ride, ugh. It’s going to be a long day of traveling for this mama, but we’ve managed a trip to Oregon when he was just 3 months old, so I think we can do this. Of course we had Match’s help then. At least Piglet isn’t a newborn, and we’re old pros with the whole nursing thing. Hopefully this trip will be a fun little adventure for us! Wish us luck!!