Always Keep Your Phone On You

On Friday night, Match’s dad suffered a stroke. It was the second time he’s had a stroke (the last one was ten years ago), and this one was following his pace maker procedure. Match’s family tried to get in touch with us for hours, but it was the one time we didn’t have our phones handy. We had decided to do something fun as a family: we’d taken Piglet to his first football game (I’ll post more about that later).  Needless to say, after the game, when I glanced at my phone and saw that I had 4 voicemails and 4 texts, my heart started racing. I knew something bad must have happened. Once we got in touch with Match’s mom, we both felt so bad that we put her through even more stress when she couldn’t get ahold of us for hours.

We hurried home, and just started throwing clothes into a bag, and racing around the house getting stuff together. His dad had been rushed to a different hospital than where he’d had his surgery, just in case he needed to undergo a risky procedure to remove the blood clot in his brain. Luckily, by the time he got to the new hospital, he was more responsive, and the risky procedure was deemed unnecessary. We drove the hour and a half to the hospital, stopping off at the airport to pick up Match’s little sister. Our little man was a complete trooper through this whirlwind of activity and anxiety.



don't mind the wet leg. That's actually  milk, not pee.

We arrived at the hospital at 12:30am and Match and his sister immediately went to the ICU to see him. His mother was already there, and was so relieved to have the rest of her family there for support. I stayed with Piglet in the waiting room, getting a hotel room set up for all of us.

The next day was a long and emotional one. Everyone took turns visiting with my father in-law, and I was able to go in for a visit too. He remembered my name and recognized me, which was huge considering I’m not in his long term memory, not like his wife and kids. This stroke hasn’t affected his motor skills quite as badly as his last stroke, but the area of the brain that has been affected have to do with his ability to think logically and reasonably. What that means is he has a long road to being able to take care of himself again.

So now we are awaiting news on whether or not he will be transferred to a rehabilitation center or to a nursing home. We are praying for the rehab center, where he will get more therapy time, and will respond best to care. The nursing home option just isn’t the right fit for this vibrant, 60 year old man who was so recently completely independent.

I have expressed frustrations in the past with my in-laws, but they’ve been really making an effort with Piglet for the past few months now. Despite some of our differences, I love them like family, and they are both incredible people. I’ve always had a great connection with my father in law and our mutual love for cooking and reading.


I am also truly amazed by the strength and courage my mother in law showed these past few days. She didn’t break down until I drove her to the hotel on Saturday to get some much needed rest. Then she hugged me and told me how glad she was that I was there, and that I’d brought Piglet. He did a great job of keeping us all smiling, and providing happy distractions. He even ran into my mother in law’s arms for a hug, and I know that made her day.

I’ll share with you the post my MIL put on facebook. It’s beautiful, and it made me cry. These two have been through so much, and they still have so much left to do together.

Tonight I wished upon a shooting star I saw in the clear night sky. I wished to have my husband, back whole again, Body, Mind and Spirit. He suffered a stroke, his second after 10 years, on Friday, September 19, 2014 following surgery to receive a long awaited pacemaker and defibrillator for his ailing heart.In spirit, even now, he is still loving and amorous, fun and playful, imaginative and persistent, the man I married 36 years ago. But if wishes do come true his Mind and Body will heal ….hopefully at the rate of that shooting star! Ok, I can wish…for all of our sakes, those who know and love him. Keep going, love of my life! You inspire me!

So here’s to you FIL. May you soon be listening to your Irish music a bit too loudly, making inappropriate jokes that make my MIL blush and being your stubborn, smart and silly self again soon. We love you, and we can’t wait for you to come home.






    I’m so sorry about the stroke! What a scary time for everyone. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

    It’s funny how all kinds of unexpected situations make us look at family differently. I guess that’s what it’s all about- going through the highs and lows together.

    Jillian Young

    Thinking of you all! I remember how much my niece and nephew brought much needed comedic relief and reasons to smile when my dad was in the ICU and after he passed, so I’m glad to hear that Piglet was able to do the same for all of you. Sending prayers that Match’s dad comes through this!


    So scary, prayers that he will get to go to rehab and be back to himself in no time.


    That is really unfortunate I hope he heals quickly I get to go to the rehab center like you are hoping for!


    You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers! I hope your FIL has a full and speedy recovery!


    I’m sooo sorry! That’s so sad and awful. Keep us posted please


    Awww, that last picture gets me. And what a sweet post from your MIL. I am keeping everything crossed for your FIL and hope he gets all the care and attention he could ever need in a proper rehab center. You can tell by these photos that he’s just a young man! And sweet that Piglet made everyone’s day with his hugs and sweet natured spirit. XOXO

Your comments make my day!