So each year I write up a to do list of things I’d like to get done. I always end up crossing off a lot of the items, but more often than not, I end up just adding new projects to the list and crossing those off. Either way, the list helps motivate me! I’m happy to report that we completed an item on the list. Originally I’d written it as plant a garden, but we realized our yard doesn’t get the right amount of afternoon sun, and because of our hot summers, this idea made more sense.
Here’s the before shots:
Our grass died out when we had some trouble with our irrigation system last summer.
Here’s what it looks like now:
I also managed to save up more of my Amazon gift cards from Swagbucks, and bought the rest of our patio furniture. I love the way our firepit area looks!
We still have some work left to do. We will be reseeding the grass, and getting rid of the mounds of dirt and weeds we dug up.
Do you see that bare spot towards the back of the stones? We will be planting a Japanese maple in that spot. Right now the maples are saplings Match’s parents gave us from their yard, so it will be awhile before we plant. I love how the yard is coming together, and it looks so much better than it did.
I love working on projects around the house with Match. There is something so satisfying about a DIY project, and knowing we’ve done something to make our home our own. Now I just can’t wait to save up the extra cash to get the outside of the house painted!
Here’s a look at where I’m at with my to do list. I’m sure I’ll be adding more to this list before the year is up. I have to learn to stop doing that and focus on what’s already there!
2013 Goals/To Do List:
Decide on a name for Piglet
- Pay off new upstairs windows
Finance new downstairs windows (thank you 0% financing offers!)
- Pay off at least one of our student loans, pay down Jeep
Start savings fund for Piglet Roll over old 401K to IRA-been meaning to do this for years now
- Write our wills
- Take infant CPR class
Take prenatal classes, including birth and nursing classes at Kaiser Organize garage-install pegboard and built in shelving storage
- Replace kitchen lighting with recessed lighting
- Buy hallway light fixture.
- Buy ceiling fan in the master bedroom.
- Buy new dining room and front entry light fixtures.
- Save up for an electrician to come install all of these fancy light fixtures (got a quote…ouch! This could take awhile)
- Install a custom closet organizer.
Buy sideboard for dining room using Amazon coupons Take maternity pictures with Match (scheduled for April 29th!) Make DIY invitations for Piglet’s baby shower Send Thank You cards for shower Finish nursery decor by no later than April Take family photos when Piglet arrives Send out Piglet’s birth announcements
- Take Piglet Camping
Do something fun for our 3rd wedding anniversary Do something special for my 30th birthday
- Come up with family Halloween costumes, hopefully DIY
- Take Piglet to the pumpkin patch
- Send out our first family Christmas cards
- Make Piglet a baby book and keep track of milestones (in progress, will be done on his birthday)
- Take Piglet to the Christmas tree farm
Take our first trip to Oregon as a family of 3
- Have a date night at least once a month with Match, hopefully more frequently
- Lose baby weight and get in pre-baby shape by the end of the year. (5 pounds to go!)
Go back to the gym-should help with above goal
- Take Piglet to at least one Mommy & me class
- Keep up with blogging even after Piglet gets here (Goal is at least 1 time a week check in, keeping up with it so far!)
- Meet a blog friend in real life
- Have outside of house painted
- Re-stain deck
Buy the rest of our patio furniture with Amazon coupons
- Buy a digital SLR to capture all of Piglet’s antics
- Start writing a book
Make mirror frame for Master Bathroom
- Build window seat in the downstairs great room
Order new window seat cushion for nursery(made one instead!)
- Read at least 50 Books this year (41 read so far)