- Leonard: What are you doing?
- Sheldon: Every Saturday since we’ve lived in this apartment, I have awakened at 6:15, poured myself a bowl of cereal, added a quarter-cup of 2% milk, sat on this end of this couch, turned on BBC America, and watched Doctor Who.
- Leonard: Penny’s still sleeping.
- Sheldon: Every Saturday since we’ve lived in this apartment, I have awakened at 6:15, poured myself a bowl of cereal…
- Leonard: You have a TV in your room, why don’t you just have breakfast in bed?
- Sheldon: Because I am neither an invalid nor a woman celebrating Mother’s Day. –The Big Bang Theory
I was looking through my calendar and I see that Mother’s Day is sneaking up on us again. You’d think this holiday would be a no brainer. Most moms would just love going out to dinner or having a nice home cooked meal with their daughter. My mama lives a state away so that’s not really an option for us (though I wish it was so much sometimes). I’d love nothing more than to surprise her on Mom’s Day by showing up on her doorstep and having a mother/daughter day like old times.
Instead, I’m stuck with the task of trying to come up with unique mother’s day gift ideas that she’ll actually like. My mom is the most practical person in the world. She doesn’t like store bought flowers because she thinks they are a waste of money. She doesn’t like a lot of “things” because she’s a minimalist. She doesn’t like to pamper herself, so massages are out of the question. I thought about getting her a nice set of women pajamas from the women’s sleepwear department at Oprah’s new store. Let’s face it-Oprah knows women, so I can’t go wrong can I? Unless I misjudge her size. Then all hell would break loose.
But doesn’t that also seem like sort of a generic gift? I feel like anyone could pick out pajamas for women and it wouldn’t feel like a personal gift from her loving daughter. In the past I’ve send nice pictures, but I already did that as part of her Christmas present.
Now when I have kids I know I will be set. I can either just surprise her with a visit to see her grandbabies or I can just send tons of pictures and videos. She already has two grandbabies, but my brother is horrible about sending pictures. He’s set the bar fairly low in that department. And we all know my OCD and tendencies to take pictures of everything will come in handy one day.
So I am stumped on this Mother’s Day gift idea. And I also have to come up with a present for Match’s mom. How about you? Do you already have the perfect idea for you Mom? Or are you going to go with the tried but true flower route?