We crawl, then walk, then run, all in an effort to move further away from where they came from… home. I know firsthand the thrill of what changing one’s surroundings can do for one’s heart, and now I also know that sometimes staying home and letting others go can be its own fantastic journey. Because when you let go of something, you make room for something else entirely, something you never expected, something that makes “home” seem like its own unexpected adventure… A trip where new treasures are found around every old corner, for the world and all its complexities come right to your doorstep. -Marin, Men in Trees
Don’t forget to enter my contest below everyone. I’ll pick a winner on the road and announce it before Christmas *hopefully!* But do enter, please, I want to give away some $!!
A big thanks for the blog award from Jen, at Welcome to the Jungle! I love awards where you have to list things. I’m a big fan of lists. You should see the various to do lists at my house, at my work, on my crackberry…
Now, here’s the award rules: Copy the award image in your post. Then, list 10 things that make you happy, try to do at least one of them today, and tag 10 bloggers that brighten your day. For those 10 bloggers who get the award, link back to me because you’re nice like that!
Since we’re leaving tonight for Oregon, I’ve got home on the brain. I’m making my list about 10 things about going home that make me happy:
1. Seeing my family (of course): my mom, pops, bro-bro, sis-in-law and my BABIES (niece and nephew)! They’re 2 and almost 3 and completely melt my heart.
2. My mom’s cooking: there is nothing like home cooking from mama. She makes the best breakfast foods. And she usually times it so the plate is ready and waiting when I walk into the kitchen.
3. Shore Acres- This is an outdoor garden/labyrinthy thing that gets decked out in Christmas lights each year. I haven’t been in over 5 years and I can’t wait to go. It will be Match’s first time seeing the lights. Oh did I mention it’s on a cliff over the ocean? AND there are Carols are hot cocoa? Yay!
4.Â Crazy small town whiskey tangoes: That would be the white trash people that make my town entertaining. Last time we visited hometown, Oregon we went to a bar and chatted up with a man with two teeth who I’m pretty sure just got out of drug rehab. He spoke surprisingly well and gave us great tips on how to play pool.
5. Snuggling in the trailer: No my parents don’t live in a trailer. But they have a camp trailer they set up for me and Match to give us privacy. It’s cozy and warm and well…it’s away from the house. If this trailer is a rockin’…I just can’t bring myself to stay w/Match in my old bedroom. It’d be too weird!
6. The trees: For those of you who haven’t been to Oregon, it’s incredible. I forget how green everything is.
7. The farm: Did I mention I grew up on a farm of sorts? We have goats, chickens, and at one point we had pigs, guinea hens and a ferret. It was random. We still have the goats, and it’s fun to feed them hay and taunt Match with the electric fence. “No sweetie, it’s off, you can touch it!” wahahhaha!
8. No cell phone: Now I probably will have it at least some of the time, but just the idea that I won’t be attached to it, or have to answer emails is so refreshing. We’re going Eric Clapton style-unplugged.
9. Seeing old friends: we’re going to meet up with Miss PHD, whom Match will be meeting for the first time. We’ve been friends since grade school. We’re also having a reunion with all of my high school classmates, eek!
10. Being home: you know that feeling? When you walk in and it envelopes you? Mom’s hugs, the smells of your childhood come crashing back, and you just feel so happy you could melt? Ok, I’m getting teary eyed. It’s been a year and a half people, I’m going HOME!!
Now I know I’m totally breaking the rules and not tagging 10 blogs-instead please consider every blog in my blog roll tagged. You’re it! What makes you happy?